Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Snow is Amongst Us!!!

At this moment our supervisors are flying across the ocean America bound,

And in this same moment my peers are in their own locations living and serving,

My friends and family in America are sleeping (maybe),

Students here are going about their lives in class,

And here I am caught up in thought, writing about the moments I know but still so amazed that it is but one tiny dent in the windshield.

Alison and I have had two very crazy weeks! Her parents visited and had the opportunity to travel the city, seeing museums and important buildings in Astana. All of us here in Astana celebrated a Canadian (early) Thanksgiving Wednesday night because our Family was leaving and it gave us a great excuse to make delicious food and meet. The next day Alison’s parents came to our University after our language class and met our professor later that same day we had them be our guest speakers at club, it was a fun night! Friday was very fun because we were invited by our professor to tour two important buildings in Astana as a class. Alison’s parents were able to come with us too! We toured a very huge conference building and this is where they have a future replica of their 2030 plan of the city. They have some crazy things planned to build in the future like a whole indoor city and entertainment center. They also are planning on building more apartment buildings but all of these are designed by very famous architectures so they are all super modern looking buildings. After our class toured this building we crossed the street to the Pyramid of Peace and Agreement where they have held world religion conferences and have concerts in a giant auditorium. This place is one of the prizes of Kazakhstan and many people are proud to have this building. We went up an elevator that goes diagonal, like the pyramid hotel in Los Vegas haha! One night with Alison’s parents we went to the Astana professional hockey teams game. It did not turn out so pretty (the team needs a little work) but it was still fun to watch and it made me want to play! Then after all these events of the week Alison’s parents headed out. It seemed like such a quick week.

This past week seriously seems like a blur. I just see it as a dream. We did our classes and our club we went about our normal lives but it just seemed to fly. We spent time helping, as much as we had time to, packing and helping our family get ready to leave. One day this week there was a giant convention at the Radisson hotel for different Universities around the world coming to recruit students. We went to this and met students and passed out flyers for our club. It was really cool to see all the different representatives. After this we had two girls we met come to our club! I really love our clubs. It is such a great thing to meet students. I find myself listening to the students hearing their thoughts and ideas that reveal what is important to them and I get swallowed up with thankfulness to be here.

The Father is a faithful provider. He provides wisdom, depth, our needs, and relationships. He is revealing Himself constantly in moments. All moments of thought, of sadness, of excitement, of laughter are a true and beautiful reality. There is no way except by His grace I would have gotten to this place of depth, love and care for my friends and family here in Astana. We have only had four very short months but in this time in His provision of love and strength He connected us and taught us how dependable He is. I know and trust so much more that wherever He is to lead me and unravel His plan I will have the body, I will have my brothers and sisters, even ones I do not even know yet. The Father loves this, He loves to bring us in relationship with people and grows each one to be unique.

I know that it is so easy to get caught up in missing those things that are meant to be temporary and forget the eternal, so right now when I am missing my family and their sweet kids running around all crazy like, or my family in America and friends in Bolivar I am comforted only by the Creator and His Eternal Kingdom. I had a conversation about time with my dear best local friend. She said, “Time is a beautiful thing really. Think about it, there was probably no time in the garden but when man fell time was created because it is a constant reminder of the Father’s promise. In time there is always a beginning and following that an end. The reminder is that there will be an end, He promises through time He is coming to bring us home.” Our big brother (aka supervisor) told us this past week that in this last bit of time here we really begin to sense the urgency. I have 1½ month to give up all false control, to trust and to deliver this message to the Father’s loved creation. And as this time is growing closely to an end His faithfulness is what my trust is bathed in. He is faithful to water and grow, He is faithful to change hearts, He is faithful to love my friends I have to leave. And for all of this, again I am swallowed up in a joyful thankfulness.

I have watched three seasons in this wonderful country. I woke up this morning greeted by a blanked of snow outside my window. I smiled and laughed when both my friend and I felt the childlike excitement with the first snow. I love it! And I love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment